In this post I’ll be showing you the finishing touches we added to my Scamp. These photos are mostly cell phone pictures, which I hate, but with so much moving around in such a small space, it was a little unnerving keeping the camera in there while we were working.
First is cabinetry. We kept the original fiberglass cabinets and repainted them. This process can be seen in a previous post. We did, however, replace the cabinet doors. They were made from thick fibery material that had been exposed to water damage and was separating all over. Plus they were spray painted in about 20 different colors, which was strange. So, we used the old doors as a template and created new doors out of 1/4 inch pine. After they were made I painted them with a green spray paint. I used knobs that I found at our local flea market.
For curtains mom and I shopped at Hancock fabrics and I fell in love with this retro floral print. It reminded me of spring and the 1970s, both of which I consider good things.
Mom and I worked together to sew the curtains. We measured the windows then added an extra half of that length so the curtains would be full. We bought some green pom poms to add a little more retro appeal, but we haven’t got around to adding them because I got so excited about the curtains that I had to put them in right away. We also bought new curtain rods from Wal-Mart and riveted the rod holders into the Scamp’s walls in the space where the old ones had been.
Mom also made me these green cushions. We found the foam on sale during a 4th of July sale at Hancock. I highly recommend buying foam when it’s on sale because it is very expensive and we ended up getting it for 40% off. I originally wanted to go with a canvas type material for the cushions, but we had a full bolt of this green material at home. At first we were just going to make a green cushion as practice before buying the canvas, but I liked how it looked so much that I decided to keep it.
For the table we used the dimensions found on Scamp’s official website and cut it out of 3/4 inch plywood. We felt that this was easier and cheaper than ordering a table online. We did however, order the table leg and wall mounts from the website. On a side note, we also purchased Scamp’s door knob replacement and door seals, which have both worked great. We plan to modify the table a bit after Dad found some ideas online, so that is why the table isn’t painted or sealed. For now we’re calling it a prototype. The main problem is the ledge at the end of the table, which we plan to fix with a piece similar to one found on bolerlife.com.
After adding these touches the Scamp was almost finished. Of course, there’s always one more thing to work on and I feel like the Scamp will always be a work in progress as I continue to modify and improve it to suit my needs. On my next post I am so excited to say that I’ll be sharing my first Scamp camping trip! Thanks for visiting!