Scamp Camper Part 1

One of the main things I wanted to share on this blog is the transformation of my early 1970s Scamp travel trailer. I purchased my Scamp in the summer of 2012 and over the next year, along with my family, began a complete restoration. Over a series of posts I want to share with everyone the transformation that my little Scamp has went through, and hopefully inspire other owners of vintage travel trailers along the way.

Image

Here she is on the night we brought her home. Years without being used or moved left her pretty nasty, but I was so excited and proud to be her new owner.

Image

Unfortunately, the inside was much worse than the outside. When we purchased the Scamp, the former owners let us keep every disgusting blanket, cushion, and mattress. So, the morning after pulling her home I got up and got right to work pulling everything out that wasn’t nailed down and hauling it all to the dump.

Image

Next, my dad, boyfriend and I gave her a good bath. I was determined to do all the work myself so they were mostly in charge of making sure I didn’t fall off the ladder. They both know how clumsy I am. Suddenly, years of filth melted off and the Scamp was looking great. Still, the work had just began.

Image

Keep checking back for the next post, and thanks for reading!

Advertisements

6 comments

  1. Very interesting. Good luck with the restoration. I’ll be following your progress!

    1. Thanks! I can’t wait to share more progress. It’s come a long way since then!

  2. Looks like a great project. Looking forward to seeing what you have done with it!

    1. Thanks for the follow! I look forward to sharing my work!

  3. I’m glad to have found these posts, kind of wondering how it has gone since then.

    One thing I’m focussing on right now is drilling out the pop rivets. I’m replacing them with stainless steel and nylon washers. Did you replace the rivets, and if so with what?

    1. I really do need to post an update, I have been so busy in the last year that the scamp got put on the back burner. I replaced the rivets in mine using the rivets and caps available on scamp’s webstore. We used some caulk to seal them extra well, as we had several leaks with the previous rivets.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: